The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is without any doubt the most popular & comprehensive English language test in the world. It was developed by some of the leading experts in English language assessment, and it evaluates all your English language skills: reading comprehension, written expression, listening comprehension and oral expression. This test is designed to evaluate how you use English to live, study and work in English speaking countries and environments. This is one of the most widely acknowledged English exams by foreign institutions.
Types of IELTS
There are two types: The General IELTS and the Academic IELTS. The general one works if your goal is to migrate to an English-speaking country for work, training or job training. As for the Academic, this would be a better option for you if your interest is to study in an English-speaking country, especially if you want to enter an undergraduate or graduate program.
IELTS English type
You may have heard the myth that it is a British English exam. However, you should remember that the IELTS is an international exam, so you will find a variety of accents from all over the world such as American English, British, Australian and New Zealand.
In total, the IELTS has a duration of 2 hours and 44 minutes, divided into 30 minutes for the Listening Comprehension section, 60 minutes of Reading Comprehension, another 60 minutes for the Written Expression Section and 11-14 minutes to respond to the three parts of the Oral Expression Section. It is important that you know that the Oral Expression Section takes place on a different day than the other three sections.
It doesn’t have an approved or failed format per se. The result you receive will show you your level of English language proficiency. The test has band scores to measure the results, with 1 being the lowest and 9 the highest. The results can be presented in the form of a complete band (e.g. 6.0) or in a half band (e.g. 6.5). The scores represent A1 levels to C2. The IELTS test will allow you to access to a university in the United Kingdom, Canada or Australia providing you get the minimum score required by them.
Now that you know what it is about, we can talk about the reasons why you should take this test:
- Worldwide recognition. IELTS is accepted by more than 10,000 organisations in more than 140 countries, so it has a very good international reputation. Governments and academic institutions are among the organisations that recognise it, so your certificate can take you wherever you want to go.
- You will get an objective assessment of your English language ability. By taking this test, you will be testing your English knowledge as if you were in day-to-day situations with (English) native speakers. The test assesses different language abilities, which can include live conversations with an evaluator (hence, preparing you for real life situations such as talking with clients or your colleagues at university).
- Language skills improvement. It’s not uncommon to favour certain skills over others. Some people are better at writing while some are better at speaking. The IELTS test will evaluate all four skills, so you ought to practice all of them, which leads to improvement. Also, it will motivate you to study harder since you will have clear goals and objectives to work for.
- A better format. In the IELTS exam, you can answer within the Reading test or the Writing test in the order that best suits you. In addition, you can change your Reading answers during the reading test and your Writing responses during the Writing test.
- The test is widely available. You can take the IELTS in 900 accredited offices (by the British Council) around the world. It is recommended to take a preparation course to help you get the score you need for your set goals. Also, candidates can choose the most convenient date for them to take the exam, since IELTS is conducted regularly throughout the year. They can apply online with their application being processed by the British Council of the country the applicant is from and it is then sent to the nearest exam centre.
- It’s useful for all stages of life. From studying to working either in other countries or in organisations in your own country. After taking this test, you can apply to study at plenty of international universities, schools or work for immigration authorities, foreign employers and professional bodies. This tool will help you in your professional career regardless of whatever stage of your career you are in, and even native English speakers are sometimes required to take the test in order to apply for jobs or to advance their career.
- Unbiased and researched content. Since the IELTS test is developed by an international expert team, the content is researched plentifully to make sure that the test is unbiased and fair for all candidates regardless of gender, location, nationality or backgrounds.
It is recommended to take a preparation course to make you get the score you need for your goals and objectives, and Learn English in a homestay is an excellent way to help you accomplish them. We use native English speakers with extensive teaching experience at all levels, and students get plenty of course content in order to study and practice, so we know what to expect of the IELTS test.
We can give mock exams taken from old IETLS tests and they are run under strict exam conditions. That way, you won’t feel nervous and anxious on the day of the real exam, and also, it will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. We offer 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 homestay tuition to prepare for your IELTS test. That way, every student gets adequate personal attention to ensure fast progression, while living and learning with your English tutor.
What’s included in the course? It’s a fast paced course of 4 weeks, with 30 hours tuition a week, and project work which includes homework and reading. You will be tested each week by very experienced teachers to ensure your continuous progress. You can also choose to take our 1-week preparation course.
Our home-stay IELTS Preparation Course
With 30 years' experience in English language training, we know how to help you progress in English